Yoga Blocks – What Are They Used For? Exercises With A Yoga Dice
Yoga blocks are used for yogic exercises that require significant stretching. In stores you can find a wide range of foam, wooden or cork blocks. Which type to choose? Check how to use the yoga peg and see sample exercises using this device. Yoga blocks are useful especially for beginners who are not sufficiently stretched. Exercises with a yoga peg are safer and easier than exercising without this device . Find out what the types are and how to use yoga blocks.
Yoga Blocks - Application
Yoga picks are handy and light instruments that are designed to facilitate exercise. First of all, they prevent injuries that may result from excessive muscle stretching.
Yoga pads are accessories that are useful at every level of advancement in training. They help in learning specific positions, i.e. asanas. They can act as a support when lying down, standing, sitting, and also when turning. Well-chosen exercises using these blocks will help you shape your figure and strengthen your muscles.
Blocks (Cubes) For Yoga - Types
Each type of yoga pad has the same use. However, they differ in the material they are made of or technical information, such as dimensions or weight. Therefore, choosing the right cube for you is an individual matter motivated mainly by aesthetic preferences and the specific conditions of our body.
Typically, each block has smooth, rounded edges, so as to reduce the risk of body rubbing as much as possible. These cubes come in different sizes.
- Foam pad - this is a kind of a very light block made of foam resistant to deformation while maintaining the appropriate hardness provided by the density of the foam used. A definite advantage of this type of blocks is the fact that thanks to the plastic they were made from, they are available in a wide range of colors. Typically, foam blocks do not weigh more than 300 g depending on the properties of the foam.
- Cork block - due to its weight, it is recommended for people who often travel with exercise props. It is also very pleasant to touch.Its price is slightly higher than classic wooden blocks, because cork oak is not found in Poland. Its weight usually ranges from about 350 g to 500 g depending on the cork.
- Pine block - the most frequently encountered in classes organized in gyms. The lightest of wooden blocks by using light pine wood. Like all wooden blocks, it is heavier than the ones mentioned above. Weighs approx. 800 g.
- Beech block - in terms of weight, it is placed between a pine block and a block made of oak. Thanks to the material from which it was made it has a delicate and mild color, and is also cheaper than foam or cork blocks. Usually it weighs about 1,300 g. The oak block - the heaviest of blocks. Like other wooden blocks, it can be in varnished or natural form. An eco-friendly varnish is usually recommended in a situation in which a block will be used very often. Because it will allow for longer life time.
- Oak block - the heaviest of blocks. Just like other wooden blocks, it can be in varnished or natural form. The eco-friendly varnish is usually recommended in a situation where the block will be used very often, because it will prolong its life. It weighs approximately 1350 g.
Yoga Blocks - Exemplary Exercises
- The position of the triangle
It consists of completely pushing forward one leg and putting the other one as far back as possible so that the position of the thighs in relation to the ground has formed a triangle. The foot at the front should be turned 90 degrees to the outside. In this position, you need to keep your hips as stable as possible. Hands should help achieve this. Parallel to the leg pushed forward, an open palm is to be placed next to it on the floor, very close to the foot in front. On the other hand, the other hand is free to rest along the leg moved backwards or go up.
Yoga Cube - How To Apply It In A Triangle Position?
In this position, not everyone can maintain proper body position and good rotation of the spine through restrictions related to pressing the hand in front of the floor. This task makes it much easier to raise the point of the ground by the block on which the hand rests. It is the difference of shifting the entire torso by a few or a dozen centimeters upwards, depending on the arrangement of the prop. Often this treatment introduces a huge difference in the matter of maintaining the balance and stability of the whole body. In this position, slowly inhale 6 breaths and exhalations, and then change the side by sliding the other leg forward.
It consists in lowering the torso with simultaneous placing of the hand on the floor. At the same time, one leg should be pushed forward and the other one should remain in the starting place, so that the muscles stretch even more intensely.
Yoga Cube - How To Apply It In The Parśvottanasana Position?
Not everyone at the beginning of the yoga adventure is able to put open palms on the mat, while maintaining the straight lumbar section and the position of the torso parallel to the floor. Help in this exercise can be two blocks, which provide a stable backrest for hands a few or a dozen centimeters above the floor depending on the individual arrangement of accessories.
The pads can also be used to raise the maxillary bone upwards during this exercise, which is the main assumption of parsvottanasana. In this position, slowly inhale 6 inhalations and exhale, then change the side by pushing the other leg forward.
There are many examples of exercises with blocks, because they can be used as an aid for practitioners in almost every yoga position.