Easy installation and the ability to attach additional sensors - these are the main advantages of wireless bicycle computers. Is it worth using them?
There are plenty of more or less useful bicycle accessories on the market. Computers do not belong to the group of products necessary for each lover of two wheels, but certainly you can not refuse him the usefulness. Especially for people who want to know what distance they traveled, at what pace and how many calories burned.
Of course, the wireless computer function can be much more. It is worth to follow the market thoroughly and check which models are offered by producers specializing in the preparation of bicycle accessories.
Best 6 wireless bike computer-ranking 2019
How does the wireless computer work?
When deciding to buy the device in question, keep in mind the main division of computers. You can buy both wired and wireless models. The first group will be discussed later in the text, so you should focus on models that provide wireless transmission.
They are valued above all for the simplicity of assembly. All you have to do is attach the computer and the central unit without having to lead the wire between these elements. However, how is the transmission going? Using radio waves. It is worth targeting digital models, as in the case of analog transmissions, interference may occur. For this reason, when buying a wireless computer for a bicycle, you should not only aim at the price and buy the cheapest models. They are severely restricted, which means that data transmission may not be carried out correctly. This in turn leads to the formation of numerous distortions and imprecise measurements.
It is worth noting here that the interference of the wireless computer can also occur when there are several bicycles with this type of equipment next to each other. The solution to these problems will be the purchase of a computer with encryption or ANT + transmission. This technology also allows the connection of additional sensors (e.g power measurement). It is worth noting, however, that such devices are much more expensive than standard ones.
Which bicycle computer to choose?
Since you already know what a wireless bike computer stands out for, go to his choice. Undoubtedly, the most important issue for devices of this type will be the range of supported functions. It is on this basis that you should choose the wireless meter. So what features can he have?
- Distance measurement. Overcome kilometers are counted in several ways. The user can find out how much he has traveled during the day, week, month or even year. So it's a great way to keep statistics. Most wireless computers, apart from the distance, also counts the time in which it was defeated. What's more, some computers also provide distance counting - the user sets a specific value (e.g 20 kilometers) and the computer displays the message when it is reached. The option is very useful for people who want to plan their workouts carefully.
- Speed meter. This parameter is given in the units selected by the user. It is worth mentioning that very complex devices also count the average speed dialed on selected sections.
- Watch. Traditional time measurement, to which date is also included.
- Temperature measurement. Contrary to appearances, a very useful feature that allows you to familiarize yourself with the prevailing weather conditions.
- Computer of laps. Very useful when the route is short, so you have to overcome it several times.
- Heart rate monitor. Used primarily by athletes and experienced cyclists who want to have the most accurate data available. The pulse is measured by a special wristband or chest strap.
- GPS. Mounted only in the best meters. It allows you to check the route covered, as well as to measure altitude.
- Bluetooth connectivity. Thanks to it, the computer can be paired with mobile devices, for example with a smartphone. This gives you access to detailed statistics. On the computer, you can receive calls and messages as well as manage notifications from social networks.
Many wireless meters support extensive systems that alternately display the most important data, so that the user has very easy access to them. Of course, in this respect, top-end price computers, which are modern multimedia devices, present themselves.
Wireless computer for the bike - what to look for?
Determining the most important measuring functions (and not only) is obviously not all. The meters available on the market are also varied in many other respects. Attention should be paid, among other things, to the way the device is made.
Good quality computers are usually prepared from specially reinforced plastics, which are not only resistant to mechanical damage, but also to the influence of external factors, such as changing weather conditions. What else is worth checking?
- Waterproof. Not all computers can be used in the rain. Many cheaper models in such conditions will refuse to obey or be destroyed. So if the computer is to withstand also in a downpour, it is worth paying attention to its level of water resistance. It is worth noting here that often the information provided by producers is not confirmed in reality, so it is worth to take a look at the opinions of users who often express themselves on the subject.
What's more, some meters are also distinguished by their water tightness. What does it mean? That they can be submerged at a certain depth for some time. Usually, the depth is 1-2 meters, and the immersion can last up to half an hour.
- Display. Attention should be paid primarily to its size, as well as how much data is displayed on one screen. It is worth noting that on the market there are offered models operated using buttons as well as with touch screens. The back light of the display will surely be useful, thanks to which all data will be visible even after dark.
- Memorizing settings. Modern meters can be used on several bikes. They detect what vehicle they are on and remember separate information.
In many sport computers a special calorie computer is mounted, thanks to which you can always check what effect the next training give you. The better the meter, the more accurate the measurements are.
When buying a wireless computer for a bike, many people pay attention to the price. Models of this type can be purchased for a dozen or so zlotys, but it is worth remembering that low price computers are exposed to various disturbances, which may prove to be useless. All this makes it worth targeting at least the average price range.
The quality of the equipment is also guaranteed by the reputation of the producer, who is responsible for its preparation. By buying a model of a recognized company, users can be sure that they decide on something that has been adapted to work in different conditions. The Kellys and Crivit wireless computers are quite popular.
How to install a wireless meter?
As it has already been mentioned, setting up a wireless computer will turn out to be much easier than the assembly of cable-connected models. At the very beginning, put a stand on which the computer will be placed. It's best to put it on the steering wheel, because it will provide convenient access to the device. The stand is usually fastened with a special screw or clamp.
Once the stand is in its place, you can insert a computer into it. The time has come for a sensor that collects data. The best place will be the shock absorber - the sensor should be as high as possible, so that the distance from the central unit is as small as possible. At the end, you just have to put the magnet on the spoke - ideally in a place where the distance from the sensor will be several millimeters. After finishing the assembly, it is worth to turn the wheel for a moment to check if everything works as it should.
Wireless or wired meter?
The above text was devoted to wireless meters. They are valued above all for the simplicity of assembly, as well as many configuration options. However, wired models are also available on the market. Is it worth being interested in them?
The list of assets of this type of devices usually has a lower price, especially for more complex models. In addition, stable operation and reliability are indicated, regardless of the conditions. Cyclists do not have to worry about the disruptions that occur with low-cost wireless meters.
However, it is worth remembering that installing a wired computer is much more difficult. This is of course due to the need to connect the sensor to the central unit with a cable, which can cause serious problems to many people. The cable itself can also be damaged, especially in difficult conditions. This also has to be kept in mind.
Wireless computers for the bicycle are free from this type of problems, and properly selected provide stable, precise operation. Before making a purchase, however, it is worth taking a close look at the available models and compare them in terms of the functions and the way they are performed. This will allow you to choose the right equipment.