Cradle is a device for abdominal muscle exercises. It relieves the spine and helps to isolate abs muscles. The effects of exercises with the cradle include strengthening and carving of the abdomen. Check how to practice with the cradle for the best results.
Cradle is designed for people who want to strengthen their abdominal muscles and at the same time have problems with making traditional uplifting, for example due to pain in the cervical spine .Often, when doing ordinary crunches, we needlessly pull the head too much, thus straining the neck and vertebrae. This causes discomfort and can even lead to permanent damage to the cervical vertebrae. Practicing with the cradle, we reduce the risk of injury in these areas.
Cradle is a helpful device for people who want to strengthen the stomach while maintaining a healthy spine.
What Does The Cradle Look Like? Types Of Cradles
Cradle is a piece of bent oval bar with a visible place to put the head, which we lean on the floor. The same horizontal bar is at the top - for him we have to grab at the moment of doing the exercise. There is also another type of cradle available on the market, in which the rods are located separately on both sides of the cradle and are placed vertically (they are not joined at the top).
If we want to work harder on the belly, we can choose a cradle variant with weight and resistance rubbers . Then the weight is placed behind our head, and the rubber stoppers are attached to the feet. If you feel pain in the lumbar region while doing crunches, we can support a cradle with a special back cushion or cradle attached with a training mat.
How Does The Cradle Work?
The cradle imitates the performance of traditional crunches, with the slightest difference that the hands do not become entwined behind the head, but hold the grip or handles located above the body or sides. Cradle, thanks to its construction, works with our body. At the moment of abdominal tightening, the lower rod rises together with the upper back. The rest of the body is immobilized and rests on the ground. Thanks to the comfortable construction, only the stomach remains tense, relieving the neck and upper vertebrae of the spine.
How To Exercise With A Cradle For Crunches?
On the video you will learn different variants of abdominal muscle exercises with the cradle.
- Ordinary crunches - lie under the rod, put your head on the support leg, bend your legs in your knees, grab your hands behind the top rod (palms put close to each other) and do the short circuit while rolling the cradle. Make sure that the lower part of the back tightly adheres to the ground.
- Tumors reversed - lift your bent legs pointing your knees towards your chest. The upper body together with the cradle remain stationary.
- Diagonal straps - keep bent knees, leg joints and place them sideways on the floor. In this position, lift the upper body while rolling the cradle. Repeat the exercise on both sides.
- Crunches with the knee extension - make a short circuit with the cradle at the same time taking your feet off the ground and pulling your knees towards the upper pole.
How Often Do You Practice With The Cradle?
- If you are a beginner, you should exercise on the cradle every other day. It's often enough to get results, but it's also the right training pattern that will allow your muscles to rest and grow.
- Always make the maximum number of repetitions in a given series. Every person is different, so do not be ready for training, but adjust the repetition limit yourself. Try, however, to perform at least 15 crunches in one series. Such series at the beginning of doing 3 or 4. Rest about 30 seconds. In each series you can use different exercise options shown on the video.
- The abdominal muscles grow when they are maximally tightened. Do not allow them to relax completely during exercise and do not rest too long.
Intermediate And Advanced Person
- If you can do about 3 series of crunches, now you can go on to increase it up to 5 sets, making a minimum of 20 repetitions. The interval between series can be reduced to 10-15 seconds. Abdominal muscles are really very hardy and durable, which is their huge advantage, but also a challenge for the practitioner who wants to strengthen and carve them.
- Exercises on the abdominal cradle can be done after each workout or on separate training days, even everyday, but remember that this is an advanced version. You need to observe your own progress and assess how much you can train yourself. Remember that the muscles of the stomach, despite their strength, also need to rest, because that's when the muscles grow. Focus more on the quality of training on the stomach than on their quantity.
Exercise Effects With Cradle
Exercises with cradle for crunches, above all, sculpt the abdominal muscles. However, the training effects depend to a large extent on you. The success consists mainly of how many times a week you do the workout and whether it is suitably selected for you. In order for the cradle to bring the expected results, you must exercise due diligence. If you only look after it, the effects of the cradle will be visible even after the first week.
Cradle is not recommended for people who want to burn fat from the waist area. In order for the fat tissue to decrease, cardio or interval training must be used. While doing crunches we will only shape the stomach.
Is it worth buying a cradle? The advantages and disadvantages of the device
- Advantages: the cradle perfectly carves the abdominal muscles and relieves the spine. It is also recommended during rehabilitation, for example in diseases of the spine. It is worth buying a cradle when we have problems with the back and neck.
- Disadvantages: the biggest disadvantage of the cradle (and probably the only one) is the fact that it strongly insulates the abdominal muscles and excludes other body muscles from work, which reduces the exercise volume, so it may result in, for example, less calories burning during exercise. However, this is both a disadvantage and an advantage because different people have different training goals. For those who want to isolate the abdominal muscles and improve the shape of specific ABS parties, the cradle will be a great solution.
It is worth to buy a cradle for abdominal exercises, if it is really necessary for us, and we do not want to give up abdominal exercises. Its purchase is also recommended when we simply want to try something new, in a more convenient form for us. It is not necessary to buy cradle cradles. If you deal well with abdominal exercises, then you do not need additional equipment.